Week 9 Microfiction

Rama's Journey into the Woods:

Although odd, I must obey my father's wish. I'll come back when my time is up. For now, I'll venture on. What could go wrong?

The Goblin Island:

Surrounded. They appear pleasant. Can't hurt.



Author's Note: 

For my first microfiction, I wrote a hint fiction, and for the second microfiction, I wrote a six word story. Everything I've written for this class thus far has been quite long, so I thought I'd mix it up a bit. For the first story, I took inspiration from the Ramayana and Rama's journey into the woods, and for the second story, I took inspiration from the short story about the island full of goblin women. It was difficult to convey full ideas in this short of space, so I worked on them for quite a while until I thought they were easy enough to follow given you knew what the background was.

Comments

  1. Hey Dylan! Great choice on trying out the microfiction option; you did a great job! I have been reading more and more of those as of late and it has really made me want to try it out. That is super impressive that you can write a story in just 6 words! It also sets up the foreshadowing of the danger that the people in goblin city are really in. Your Rama story demonstrates the loyalty and character of Rama in just a few sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dylan,
    I appreciate the time you took on each of these stories. I loved the one about Goblin Island. It definitely represents the Island well, but it may represent the naivety of the villagers even better. The irony here makes me so happy, and it also makes me reflect on the concept of Maya and the stark differences between appearances and actuality. I also liked the story about Rama. Even in such a small space, I think you do a great job of highlighting Rama’s character, like his loyalty to his father and his optimism.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Mechanical Engineer

Week 5 Story: The Return of Sita