Week 5 Story: The Return of Sita

After several long days they were finally back together, and it was hard to believe that what they’d been through was real. Congressman Rama sat in embrace with Sita and thought about what had transpired. 

3 days ago, Rama had been cleaning up the kitchen after dinner when he heard a scream come from the living room. He took off towards the room only to find a broken window and shattered glass covering the floor. 

“Sita? Sita!”, he called out, but no answer was heard. 

When the police arrived to their home, an investigation began, and it was determined that Sita had been kidnapped. By who they weren’t sure, but it seemed like Rama had been targeted due to his powerful position. 

A few days passed without.a word. The police continued their investigation efforts, and Rama drove around town trying to find anyone who may be able to help, but nothing turned up. Then suddenly on the third day, Rama left his home to find a note taped to the front door. The note appeared to be in some sort of code which Rama couldn’t decipher, but luckily he new someone who could. 

Rama had been a history major in college and had an old friend who had spent a great deal of time studying ancient languages and symbols. He hoped that this friend would be able to assist him, so he left and drove to his house. 

Upon inspecting the code, Rama’s friend recognized it as Sanskrit, an ancient form of language developed in India around 1500 B.C. He deciphered it and relayed the message to Rama. 

“I should’ve won. But I lost, and now you’ll lose too.”

Rama immediately knew the perpetrator to be Ravana, his opposition in the last congressional election. He immediately called the police and informed them of this, and although they were slightly skeptical they agreed to investigate it. 

They arrived at Ravana’s house, and it appeared no one was home. The driveway was empty, so the police assumed Ravana had left. They entered the house and called out to Sita, and were answered by a muffled scream that sounded like it was coming from upstairs. They rushed towards the noise and found Sita bound to a column upstairs. She appeared unharmed, and the police were ecstatic to have found her. After taking her from the house, the police drove their cars far down the street and a few of them hid inside the front door of Ravana’s house. When he finally returned home, they ambushed him and arrested him. 

The police took Sita back to her house, and she was thrilled to finally be back with Rama. Rama was thinking about everything that had transpired and finally asked Sita how she had managed over the past few days, and if Ravana had hurt her. 

“I am completely unharmed”, she said. “He tried to talk to me from time to time but never laid a hand on me. I’m unsure of what his intentions were.”

Rama thought about this and the thought occurred to him that this event might hurt his reputation. “Sita, I think we need to talk about this”, he said. 
“Talk about what?”

“About what this means for my public image.”

“Is that really what’s important right now?” Sita was slightly annoyed at the turn this had taken, given what she had just been through. 

Rama continued, “I think the public will look at me different now that you’ve been held hostage in another man’s house.”

“Why on earth would the public look at you different? Their only reaction will be sympathetic towards us for having to deal with this traumatic event.”

“It’s just too big a risk for me to take. I can’t have the people thinking negatively of me. I think you should live elsewhere. The woods behind the house would do.”

Sita had transitioned from annoyed to downright mad, and she stormed out the door, amazed at the lack of affection and empathy her husband had just showed towards her. 

Image of Where Sita was Held Hostage (Lanka in the Ramayana)

Author’s Note: For my story this week, I chose to once again focus on the public domain version of the Ramayana, though this time I focused on the ending. Rama is on the throne and banished Sita to the woods, despite the fact that she remained as loyal to him as she possibly could have given what she went through. I’ve enjoyed putting things in a modern perspective in previous weeks, so I thought I would do the same for this story. To make it easier to follow, I’ve chosen to keep the character names the same, so only the plot and setting has changed. I like to put these in a modern setting because I feel that it highlights the odd and questionable moments that take place in the Ramayana, and how out of place they would be if they were to take place today. 

Comments

  1. Hi Dylan!
    I like that you made Rama a politician in such a modern setting! I thought it was really clever that the note he received was in Sanskrit. I thought it was a great way to subtly reference the Indian origin of the Ramayana. One thing I did think felt kind of weird was the ending. It totally makes sense that a politician would be concerned about his image but it feels like leaving his wife might be even worse for his public image. I think it would be good to explain why leaving Sita is Rama's best option. Maybe there is speculation that Sita wasn't really kidnapped and left willingly to be with Ravana or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dylan,
    I really like the story you wrote, taking stories into the modern world is always fun. Making Rama a politician made a lot of sense. I am glad you chose this part of the story to modernize as well. Putting Rama's comments in the modern day helps make them look even worse. I like your use of dialogue as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dylan,
    I loved the way you changed this story up. I also like how you changed up Sita’s character traits. I didn’t read the PDE version, but from Sita Sings the Blues and the Narayan version, Sita was never mad but rather sad. I also like how you made this about politicians. This modern twist really fits well with the original story, especially with how scandal in a family effects image.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dylan,

    I really enjoyed your modern take on this story. It definitely makes me want to try to set these stories in a more modern time. I feel that by doing that it helps resonate with us more. Even though it was set in the present day I loved that you still incorporated old aspects like the note in Sanskirt. Subtle hints like that in the story really help show that, while this might be a different take on the story, the overall perspective is still the same. Overall, great job and I can’t wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dylan,

    Making Rama a politician explains so well why he acted the way he did at the end of the Ramayana. I was actually really frustrated with the end of that epic- the entire story was Rama's effort to save Sita from Ravana, and then he basically threw her away because it made HIM look bad? Ugh. I understood that this was a different era and that cultural ideals are different, but wow. It does seem like those are the sorts of actions that would be taken by a politician. I think you nailed this perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dylan,
    I love the modern take on this story. The idea of him being a politician makes a lot of sense in this case. Back then, reputation was very important, so that's why he was ashamed, but that doesn't really make sense in today's society unless you're in a position where any shame is bad. I still wished you changed the ending because I am mad that Rama does that! He sends his love away all because of rumors!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Mechanical Engineer