Week 10 Biographical Writing

Note: For my biographical writing this week, I chose to tell the story of a baseball game I played in when I was 9 using a first person perspective. This was not a pleasant story in my athletic career, but is one I can laugh at now.

What are the Odds

I’ve played baseball most of my life, and over that time I’ve changed in a lot of ways as a player. When I was 9, my specialty was bunting. I was that one skinny kid who was pretty fast, and at that age it’s pretty hard for a defense to successfully get an out on a bunt, so I used that to my advantage. It was the semifinals of the 9 and under state championship, and I was up to bat. There was a runner on third with one out, and we were losing 2-1. Like I had done all year, I tried to lay down a bunt to let the runner from third score, and I would try to make it to first base before they could throw me out. It turns out that it wasn’t my day, because for the first time that entire season, I popped a bunt up, which went right back to the pitcher. He caught it and threw the ball to third base for the double play, ending the inning, the game, and our season. My 9-year old self immediately broke down, and I was inconsolable for most of the ride home. Not my best Sunday, but it’s at least humorous to me now. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Mechanical Engineer

Week 5 Story: The Return of Sita