Reading Notes: Sita Sings the Blues Part A

For the reading these week, I chose to watch Sita Sings the Blues, and these notes will cover the first half of the movie. For this half, I wanted to focus on character development.

First, I enjoyed the discussion at the beginning introducing all the characters. They seem to be somewhat confused which made me feel a bit better about being as confused as I was when they were all introduced. It’s also interesting how they introduce Sita as a follower and someone who would live in the shadow of their significant other, when we know this not to be true as the story unfolds.

The other side of Ravana that is revealed in the movie is also fascinating. In the Ramayana version that I read, he is portrayed to basically be this devil king, but in the movie he is described a a fairly good king, with the only negative thing he did being kidnapping Sita.

The movie also goes to great lengths to show Sita’s loyalty to Rama, so it will be interesting how they show her relationship with Rama developing once he rescues her.

Original Source

Image of Ravana and Sita

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Mechanical Engineer

My Favorite Place: Fog City