Week 2 Story: Bodhisatta and the Ogre

There was once a powerful monkey king, Brahmadatta, who lived in the jungle. He was surrounded by a tribe of all female monkeys, as he had killed any son that had been born into the tribe. One day, one of the female monkeys was going to give birth and, fearing for the life of her son, escaped far away to the outskirts of the jungle. The son, Bodhisatta, was born and was safe, and soon grew to be much larger and stronger than was normal for a monkey of his tribe.

One day, Bodhisatta's mother decided to tell him about his father.
"Your father is a powerful monkey king who lives in the heart of the jungle", she said.
"Why did you take me away from him?", asked Bodhisatta.
"Your father is fearful of losing his power, so he would've killed you had I not."
"I want you to take me to him", said Bodhisatta.
His mother reluctantly agreed, knowing that if she didn't he would go by himself.

When Bodhisatta returned to the tribe, his father was shocked. The mother hid just outside the tribe so as to not be seen, and the king went to greet his son. "Look how big you've gotten!", said the king, realizing quickly that he had no hope of killing this son in the same manner as he had done before. As Bodhisatta was reuniting with the rest of the tribe, the king quickly came up with a plan to kill him.

The next evening, the king approached Bodhisatta with a proposal. "I've been king for quite some time now, son, and I've begun to grow weary. I'd like for you to take my place. Tonight, go down to the pond just on the other side of the tree line and collect 5 white lotuses for me."

The king knew that white lotuses only grew in the middle of the pond, and there was a terrible ogre that lived there that should be able to kill Bodhisatta. Bodhisatta was wary of his father's intent, but decided to go to the pond regardless and try to gather the lotuses.

Upon arriving at the pond, Bodhisatta noticed that the ground was covered with extremely large, humanoid-like footprints that all led into the water. He realized there was an ogre in the pond, and began looking for other ways to reach the center of the pond.

Bodhisatta quickly noticed a branch hanging over the white lotuses in the middle of the pond. Given his exceptional strength and size, he thought that he may be able to leap over to the branch to swing to the other side, grabbing lotuses on the way. After attempting and being successful at this a couple of times, the ogre in the pond began to catch onto his plan. Although only an ogre, he was witty as well, and as Bodhisatta swung over the pond a third time, the ogre caught his leg.

After carrying Bodhisatta to the edge of the pond, the ogre asked him just what exactly he was doing. Knowing that the ogre was capable of eating him, Bodhisatta quickly explained to the ogre that he just wanted to pick the lotuses. He also explained the suspected plot he thought his father had against him. After hearing this, the ogre grew angry, not only at the king's deceitfulness but also at his attempt to use the ogre as a means of killing.

The ogre let Bodhisatta go, and they both returned to the king with the white lotuses. When the king saw this, he grew troubled, realizing that his plan had not only failed but also that there was an ogre in his tribe. The ogre approached the king slowly, offering the white lotuses to him, and as the king reached for them the ogre grabbed him and dragged him away to the pond.

The king was seen no more, and Bodhisatta was named king of the tribe.

Image of a White Lotus in a Pond

Author's Note:
For my story, I chose to rewrite the story of The Monkey who Gathered Lotuses. Most of my story is similar to the original, although in my own words, but the ending is slightly different. I don't consider myself to be the most creative writer, so I thought I'd attempt at just changing small aspects here or there for my first story and would work up to more drastic changes.

The Original Story is The Monkey who Gathered Lotuses by Robert Chalmers

Comments

  1. Hi Dylan,
    I remember reading this story. I love your ending and how the ogre just grabs and the king. Off they go, I suppose haha! I definitely liked your version better just because it was in much more common language and easier to understand. Don't worry about not being creative because you're doing great! LIke this is amazing! For your author's note, I just want to know what the original ending is!
    Can't wait to read more of your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dylan,
    Wow such a cool name haha! I liked the story. I actually haven't read the original so this was my first time reading a story like it. I like how the ogre is compassionate and seems to do the right thing. I also like how he just takes the king and neither of them ever return. It leaves the ending up to the reader's imagination even though we all know that king is done for haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dylan,
    I think this was a fine story. I like that in your author’s note you explain that you only changed small parts. Sometimes it’s good to just start off slow and work your way up to more drastic changes. I liked the ending where the ogre just dragged him away. We know he was seen no more, and we assume the King died. However, there was a bit of foreboding mystery to it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Mechanical Engineer

Week 5 Story: The Return of Sita