Topic Research: Dasharatha

After looking over my storybook notes, I've decided to do pick Dasharatha as my topic to do more research on.

The first story I'd like to focus on is Dasharatha's killing of Shravana. Dasharatha was evidently a prolific hunter, and used mainly sound to determine the type of animal, direction, and distance. Using these senses, he somehow mistook Shravana for an elephant and killed him. Shravana was getting his blind parents water, and upon hearing the news curse Dasharatha, which is what he believed killed him shortly thereafter.

The second story I'd like to focus on is Dasharatha granting Kaikeyi two boons. Dasharatha was in a war against the Asuras, and upon being injured severely in his chariot, Kaikeyi saved his life. Dasharatha granted her two boons then, although Kaikeyi originally just said she was just happy to save his life, although we know she called in those favors later. This short story about him being in was, her saving his life, and then her calling in the favors years down the road instead of just being happy to save him seems like an interesting thing to write about.

The last story I'd like to focus on is one that we've already briefly touched on, and that is Dasharatha banishing Rama. This whole idea seemed rather bizarre to me, as I don't understand how he could feel he has no choice in the matter. I don't quite understand how boons work and how they are different from just telling someone you owe them a favor, so I'd have to look into that more first. It's also amazing to me that Rama accepted this without second thought and went into the woods. This whole situation seems odd, and likely a good topic to write about.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Mechanical Engineer

Week 5 Story: The Return of Sita