Reading Notes: Ramayana Part B

Reading B: Public Domain Edition of the Ramayana

For my reading notes over part B, I chose to focus again on character development. Almost all of part B took place somewhere in the woods, which I've learned are extremely vast and full of rakshashas. Each encounter Rama has with creatures in the woods has seemed to teach him and maybe us a lesson about either loyalty, courage, or keeping one's word. It's also interesting that almost all of the people Rama encounters have been aware of his coming for quite a long time.

Another interesting comment I noticed was the brief mentioning of atheism by one of the Brahmins when speaking to Rama. Rama immediately disregarded this with arguments of moralty and faithfulness and the story continues, but it was of interest that it was brought up at all.

The ruse that Ravana uses to steal Sita away was odd, and I'm sure I'm thinking too logically about it but I'm not quite sure how that would work. Surely Rama would immediately realize what happened when he killed Maricha, right? With how easy it seems to be for the hermits to communicate to each other over long distances either through yelling or other woodland creatures, I thought that message could be conveyed quicker.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Mechanical Engineer

Week 5 Story: The Return of Sita