Reading Notes: Ramayana Part A

Reading A: Public Domain Edition of the Ramayana

For my reading notes over Part A this week, I chose to focus on the character development. First and foremost, there are a ridiculous amount of names. I'm sure it's much more difficult for me just because most of the names sound so foreign, and that I'll get used to it as the semester goes on, but it's certainly making the reading more difficult right now. It was also interesting how the stories switched back and forth from a narrative tone to a poetic tone. This didn't necessarily make the stories easier to follow, but it was interesting nonetheless.

The development of Rama over the first part of the reading reminded me of some of the stories of ancient Greek heroes. What was unique though was that Rama didn't go through any serious hardships in his upbringing, which is unlike those stories of Ancient Greece. It was fascinating as well to see the role rituals, sacrifices, and other traditions played in the upbringing of Rama, and how most of his development as a person was directly influenced by it.

One of the more shocking developments to me was Rama's banishment from the city, especially how calmly he took it. To be expecting to be named king and to instead be exiled to a jungle for 14 years would have anyone up in arms, but he takes it immediately without a word of question. Regardless of how loyal you are to your father, would you still not ask why? Dasharatha's death was also quite shocking, and his hunting accident almost seemed unnecessary. I understand how it evolved into his death, but that seemed like a dark and depressing way to have it happen.

I suppose now I see the hardship in Rama's life that I said was lacking earlier. What he goes through has been fairly dark up to this point, and I'm curious to know how his return to the city will go.

Image Depicting Dasharatha's Karma

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Mechanical Engineer

Week 5 Story: The Return of Sita