My Thoughts on a Growth Mindset

I'm familiar with the concept of a growth versus a fixed mindset, although I had never heard of Carol Dweck before. It was interesting to hear her thoughts on the differences between the two, and how process over achievement should be encouraged, although I agree more with Paunesku's concerns over stressing it too much. Despite the statistics Dweck gave on how emphasizing a growth mindset can improve a student's performance, it seems quite likely that there are going to be some students who will naturally struggle with this type of thinking, and that teachers who are told to emphasize growth over fixed will struggle much more to teach those students. I agree that it's important for people and students to recognize the importance of the process, but I don't think we can abandon every other teaching principle currently in place for the sake of focusing on just the process.

I'd say that when it comes to schoolwork, I have more of a fixed mindset, but I'd say that I have a growth mindset when it comes to everything else. From my time here at OU, the biggest thing I've learned about myself is that it's far easier for me to learn something and I do it much quicker if it's a subject that I'm passionate about. I loved solid mechanics, despite how difficult that class was, and I found that I picked up the topic quite easily. I was not at all interested in thermodynamics, however, and I struggled much more with that. There are no classes this semester that I'm necessarily thrilled about (except this course obviously), but I am taking Linear Algebra and I thoroughly enjoy math, so I think that one will be fun. I did enjoy the first picture from your blog, which is included below.

Image of a Humorous Cat

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Mechanical Engineer

Week 5 Story: The Return of Sita