Articles and Feedback Thoughts

The first article I chose to discuss is  Make Good Art: Neil Gaiman’s Advice on the Creative Life, Adapted by Chip Kidd. I chose this article because pushing your own limits and trying new experiences is something I've been trying to focus on a lot in recent years, and this article discusses the importance of that. The first important piece of advice he gives, and I'll relate it to myself personally and trying new things instead of just making art, is that it's important to push your limits on your bad days as well as your good days. No matter what happens in any given moment, there are chances for you to push yourself, to try something new, and to be successful at it. Take advantage of it. The second thing he said that really stuck out to me was the idea that constantly trying new things changes you as a person. I think a lot of people have it ingrained in their mind that at a certain point we stop changing as people. I think that if we want to experience life as it is truly meant to be experienced, then that means constantly doing new things as Neil Gaiman encourages us to do, and as a result we will constantly be changing as people. It's not a process that ends, and as long as we're changing we have the opportunity to change the world we live in. The last thing that stood out to me was his short message on fear. Regardless of how scared you are to do something, if you know it's a new experience and you know it's intriguing, you just have to do it. You have to throw caution and logic to the wind and go for it. I love that message, and it's something I'm continuously trying to work on. 

The second article I chose to discuss is A 5-second Simple Habit To Rewire Your Harshly Self-Critical Brain by Joel Almeida. I chose this article because I feel like I am often the harshest critic of myself, and any habit to break this that only takes 5 seconds is surely worth a read. The point I loved in this article is the love of learning. I have a passion for learning and can agree with the author somewhat that often this love of learning causes me to over-commit myself, leading to some self-criticism. But Almeida points out that this love of learning and over-committing is simply the result of loving to learn. The benefit of this is that instead of treating setbacks as negative things, you treat them instead as an opportunity to learn. Thinking with this mindset makes sense and will hopefully come easily to me, as I love to learn and experience new things, so I'll try adopting Almeida's method of REBS from now on. 

I think the most important thing I took from each of these articles was that the most important reactions to feedback and feedback received in general come from yourself. How you give yourself feedback and how you react to feedback from others makes all the difference in whether or not you move forward or backwards from it. Taking everything with a positive attitude and treating it as a learning opportunity is crucial to actually benefiting from feedback. 

Image of a Positive Feedback Loop 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Mechanical Engineer

Week 5 Story: The Return of Sita